We’re currently experiencing a service outage for our [product]. Our team is actively working on resolving the issue. Our IT experts are working tirelessly to restore service as quickly as possible.


The initial step of filing the Articles of Incorporation, for your Colorado Corporation, has been completed by Guidant. The following information is important and will assist you in maintaining your corporate status:

  • Articles of Incorporation: Within your Zip File there are several important documents. Your Corporation was established by filing “Articles of Incorporation” with the Secretary of State. You will find the Articles in the Corporate Documents folder in your Zip File.
  • Tax Identification Number: The Tax Identification number for a business entity is known as an employer identification number (EIN). The EIN operates like a Social Security number for the entity and is required for many necessary activities, such as opening a bank account. Your EIN has already been filed with the IRS, and can be found in the Corporate Documents folder in your Zip File.
  • State Mandated 401(k) Plans: The state of Colorado requires that all businesses offer their employees a 401(k) Plan. The 401(k) Plan you established for your organization through Guidant Financial meets this requirement however you do need to opt out through the state website. For the state requirements and to opt out please visit their website here: https://coloradosecuresavings.com/employers/program-details
  • Annual Report to Colorado SOS: Every domestic corporation is required to file an annual report each year with the Colorado Secretary of State by the last day of February following the first anniversary month of the corporation. The Colorado Secretary of State will mail your corporation a postcard notice stating that an annual report is with direction to either file online or print a form for mailing. The annual report may be filed online up to two months in advance (unavailable for paper-filing) through the Secretary of State web site at: http://www.sos.state.co.us/biz/FileDocSearchCriteria.do?transTyp=REPORT. In the alternative, you may paper-file by searching for your corporation at: http://www.sos.state.co.us/biz/FileDocSearchCriteria.do?transTyp=REPORT and you may print an annual report form for mailing. The paper filing fee is $100. However, if you file online, the fee is $10. Failure to timely file may result in monetary penalties or administrative dissolution of your Corporation. Please contact the Colorado Secretary of State at (303) 894-2251 for more information.
  • Business License: Your Corporation may be required to obtain a license or permit issued by the State of Colorado. To assist you in making this determination, please refer to: https://dora.colorado.gov/licensing-and-permitting for state, city and county licensing authorities.
  • Employees: If your Corporation will have employees, state law may require worker’s compensation insurance coverage and you should contact the Department of Labor & Employment at (303) 318-8000 or visit https://cdle.colorado.gov/dwc.

Many Corporations with employees will be subject to unemployment tax requirements. Information may be obtained from the Department of Labor and Employment at: https://cdle.colorado.gov/businesses-employers or call (303) 318-8000.

  • Record Keeping: Every domestic corporation is responsible for keeping at its principle office: the Articles of Incorporation, the Bylaws, current names and addresses of directors and officers, current names and addresses of all shareholders and the number and class of shares held by each, written communications to shareholders for the past three years, adequate and correct books, minutes and resolutions of the shareholder and board meetings for the last three years, and the most recent annual report delivered to the Secretary of State.
  • Change of Address and/or Resident Agent Information: In the event your Corporation’s principal office address, your registered office address and/or your resident agent changes, you will be responsible for taking the necessary steps to inform both the Secretary of State and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) of the address change. To notify the Colorado Secretary of State, you can make changes using forms located at: http://www.sos.state.co.us/pubs/business/forms_main.htm. To notify the IRS, we have included additional information, including a Change of Address IRS Form, in the file in order to assist you in completing this process.
  • Additional State Requirements: It is important to note that the Colorado Secretary of State may have additional requirements above and beyond what has been detailed above. It is your responsibility to read any and all information sent to you by the Colorado Secretary of State or any other agencies, to assure that you are remaining compliant. Failure to remain compliant and/or respond to requests for information in a timely manner may result in dissolution of your Corporation.

This form is provided to you for informational purposes only. You are responsible for determining the correct information and completing the necessary requirements for your entity. Information provided is subject to change based on state requirements. It is important that you always check the information provided above with the most up to date information as provided by the Secretary of State and other government agencies.

Scroll to Top

Download The Complete Guide to 401(K) Business Financing: ROBS

By pressing “Download the Guide”, you agree to this websites Privacy Policy, and you consent to receive information from Guidant Financial at the email address or telephone numbers you provided.