We’re currently experiencing a service outage for our [product]. Our team is actively working on resolving the issue. Our IT experts are working tirelessly to restore service as quickly as possible.


The initial step of filing the Articles of Incorporation, for your West Virginia Corporation, has been completed by Guidant. The following information is important and will assist you in maintaining your corporate status:

  • Articles of Incorporation: Within your Zip File there are several important documents. Your Corporation was established by filing “Articles of Incorporation” with the Secretary of State. You will find the Articles in the Corporate Documents folder in your Zip File.
  • Tax Identification Number: The Tax Identification number for a business entity is known as an employer identification number (EIN). The EIN operates like a Social Security number for the entity and is required for many necessary activities, such as opening a bank account. Your EIN has already been filed with the IRS, and can be found in the Corporate Documents folder in your Zip File.
  • Business4WV Online Filings: This service is a one stop gateway for new businesses. Business 4WV offers an interview process that will lead you quickly through all the questions required for your business. Your new business registration will be processed by the major business registration agencies, depending on the type of business you select and whether you will have employees. Each agency will send the documents certifying your registration directly to you. Additionally, you may update your business information if it has changed since you last filed through this service. Business4WV can be found through the Secretary of State website at: https://business4.wv.gov/startmybusiness/Pages/Register-Your-Business.aspx Please note: you do not need to “Start a New Business” as we have already filed your new Corporation with the state.
  • Business License: Your Corporation may be required to obtain a license or permit issued by the State of West Virginia. To assist you in making this determination, please refer to: https://sos.wv.gov/business/Pages/default.aspx for state, city and county licensing authorities.
  • Business Taxes: West Virginia imposes various taxes on businesses. For more information, please contact the West Virginia State Tax Department at (304) 558- 3333 or visit: http://www.state.wv.us/taxrev/default.htm.
  • Employees: If your Corporation will have employees, state law may require workers’ compensation insurance coverage. Please visit the West Virginia Insurance Division at: http://www.wvinsurance.gov/wc/index.htm or call (304) 558-5230 for more information.

Many Corporations with employees will be subject to unemployment tax requirements. Information may be obtained from the Bureau of Employment Program at: http://www.wvbep.org/bep/uc/ or call (304) 558-7024.

  • Record Keeping: Every domestic corporation is responsible for keeping at its principle office: complete and accurate books and records of account, minutes of the proceedings of the incorporators, shareholders and directors and a share register giving the names and addresses of all shareholders and the number and class of shares held by each.
  • Resident Agent Changes: Whenever the Resident Agent, Resident Agent Address, or Principle Office Address changes, a written notification must be submitted to the Secretary of State.   The appropriate form can be found at: https://sos.wv.gov/business/Pages/default.aspx. For additional information regarding changes to Resident Agent information, please contact the Secretary of State at (304) 558-8000.
  • Additional State Requirements: It is important to note that the West Virginia Secretary of State may have additional requirements above and beyond what has been detailed above. It is your responsibility to read any and all information sent to you by the Secretary of State or any other agencies, to assure that you are remaining compliant. Failure to remain compliant and/or respond to requests for information in a timely manner may result in dissolution of your Corporation.

This form is provided to you for informational purposes only. You are responsible for determining the correct information and completing the necessary requirements for your entity. Information provided is subject to change based on state requirements. It is important that you always check the information provided above with the most up to date information as provided by the Secretary of State and other government agencies.

Scroll to Top

Download The Complete Guide to 401(K) Business Financing: ROBS

By pressing “Download the Guide”, you agree to this websites Privacy Policy, and you consent to receive information from Guidant Financial at the email address or telephone numbers you provided.